Every year, the Technology Strategy Board holds a competition around “feasibility studies”. This provides small but tangible grants of up to £25k at 75% match funding. This means that if you commit to a £33k project which is selected, you will receive up to 75% of its actual costs back from TSB.
This can be a great help to young startups, and we know a number of interesting companies that have benefited from such funding in the past.
The competition aims to support four of the core areas on TSB’s agenda: Advanced materials/nanoscale technologies, Biosciences, Electronics/photonics/electrical systems, Information & Communication Technologies (ICT).
Focusing on that last one, the key types of development that TSB would like to fund are:
- reliable and continuous sensing in challenging physical environments, including how trust, provenance and other assurance of data can be maintained
- intelligent, autonomous or autonomic machine reasoning and behaviour
- computers to take account of user requirements, preferences, values and processes, including more immersive user experiences
- complex ICT systems to be engineered rapidly, cost-effectively and reliably to be fit-for-purpose, in other words safe, secure and resilient
The key dates are:
– Open: 12th March 2012
– Briefing event: 20th March 2012
– Registration deadline (i.e. register to be able to apply): 4th April 2012 noon
– File all applications by: 11th April 2012
– Results: 14th May 2012
– Project start: 1st August 2012
Projects can last up to 4 months, and will be expected to produce a report at the end of the study.
Our relationship with the internet is changing. What was once a tool to be consulted occasionally is now an intrinsic part of our lives that we expect to be connected…
In the early days of computer games, players were promised that, one day in the not too distant future, virtual reality would revolutionise the gaming experience. We would put on…
Britain is already one of the least cash-dependant societies in the world, and the trend is growing every year with people increasingly relying on card payments or e-payments. While…
Bitcoin is big news at the moment. Of the 1,000 or so active cryptocurrencies in the world, Bitcoin is by far the most renowned. Around 100,000 merchants and vendors…