The latest round of Innovate UK’s Biomedical Catalyst grant opened on 15 August 2022. Here’s what you need to know.
Round 2 of Innovate UK’s Biomedical Catalyst, a £25 million competition supporting pre-market solutions to a range of healthcare challenges, is now open.
For a no-strings-attached assessment of your chances of winning up to £2 million in funding, speak to our innovation grants team today.
Biomedical Catalyst - Key Details
- Up to £2 million in funding available
- The competition runs from 15 August to 12 October 2022
- Your project must start by 1 May 2023 and finish by 30 April 2026
- Project costs must be £150,000 – £4 million
- The project must be led by an SME
- SMEs must bear at least 50% of project costs
Below are the key things you need to know about the Biomedical Catalyst’s eligibility criteria and application process.
Take a moment to read through this information. Then contact GrantTree for a quick, hassle-free assessment of your eligibility for the Biomedical Catalyst grant.
Am I Eligible for Round 2 of Innovate UK's Biomedical Catalyst?
To qualify for the Biomedical Catalyst, your project must:
- Have total eligible costs of between £150,000 and £4 million
- Have at least 50% of total project costs borne by SMEs, if it’s collaborative
- Start by 1 May 2023 and finish by 30 April 2026
- Last between 6 and 36 months
You must carry out all of your project work and exploit its results in the UK.
The competition will not fund projects that:
- Are fundamental research or feasibility projects
- Aren’t related to human life sciences
- Focus on a product that is already on the market
- Focus on laboratory accreditation
- Are conducted blow the highest standards of animal welfare
- Are dependent on export performance
- Are dependent on domestic inputs usage
Leading a Project
To lead a project, your company must be a UK-registered micro, small or medium-sized enterprise (SME). You can read more about Innovate UK’s definition of SME here.
To collaborate with the lead, your organisation must be any of the following:
- A business of any size
- An academic institution
- A charity
- A not for profit
- A non-governmental organisation
- A research and technology organisation (RTO)
How Do I Apply for Round 2 of the Biomedical Catalyst?
The application for the Biomedical Catalyst is split into three sections:
This section includes a 400-word project summary, a 400-word description of how your project matches the competition’s scope, and a 400-word public description explaining how you would like Innovate UK to describe your work to third parties.
This section comprises 11 questions covering a range of areas, including the need or challenge your project is looking to address, the members of your project team and their roles, your target market, and how you are going to manage your project effectively.
This is where you’ll enter your project costs, organisation details and funding details. If you’re an academic institution, you need to complete a Je-S form.
If you filed a successful application for round 1 of the Biomedical Catalyst and are looking for a grant of more than £500,000 from round 2, you may be invited to an interview with Innovate UK’s major investment panel (MIP).
Maximise Your Chances with GrantTree
Like all Innovate UK competitions, the Biomedical Catalyst is highly competitive, with only a small percentage of applicants receiving funding.
If you want to maximise your chances of success, our innovation grants team is standing by to help you create a compelling application that satisfies all of Innovate UK’s criteria.
We also offer interview preparation services to help you get through the second stage of the application process.
Just get in touch, and our team will be right with you.